Sunday, February 13

Well trained

I think the standard joke about marriage is that the woman spends her time training the man without raising his suspicions...but today I realized that in this relationship, Mr. Zookeeper might actually be the puppeteer.


He made a big deal about downloading the new Disney movie "Tangled" before I left for church this morning, and even referred to it once or twice on our walk with the dogs. I didn't think much of it, but as soon as we got the leashes off and sat ourselves down on the couch, he reached for the remote and clicked "play." 


The man is not well known for his love of Disney fare -- and I had never asked him to download this particular gem. In fact, the only time I could remember mentioning it was when the movie was first coming out in theaters (back in November) and I suggested that I might drag one of my girlfriends out for it while he was away for work. 


When I pointed out that he seemed more eager for this slice of computer-animated fluff than I was, he just shrugged his shoulders and smiled.


About fifteen minutes in, though, he got up to get me a glass of water and then puttered around the garage for a few minutes. "Should I pause it?" "Oh no, that's okay. You keep watching. I'll be right back."


Then the power tools started whirring, and as I sat on the couch with a dog on each side it suddenly dawned on me that we were all his pawns. The dogs happily chewing on their large rawhide bones, while I was glazed over wondering how Mandy Moore had managed to go so long without being Disney Princess-ized. No one pestering or flittering about his heels as he pounded and hammered on some parts for the motorcycle. 


Clever, clever boy. 

No comments:

Post a Comment