Thursday, March 29

Couponing

One of the goals I have is to become better about meal planning -- and as a result, better about couponing and grocery shopping in general.

With that in mind, I set out yesterday to do my major shopping trip for April, and I am going to document that trip and all subsequent trips for the month here.

For yesterday's grocery adventure I had two goals: Stock up on meat and pasta staples and use up all March coupons on double day.

Unfortunately I learned too late (halfway through my ring-up) that Farm Fresh only doubles the first 20 coupons. I'm not sure how I never noticed this before, since I am positive I use more than 20 coupons at least once a month, but thems the breaks.

The worst part was I had organized my coupons according to the store layout, and therefore a lot of $1 coupons got wasted after I met my 20 coupon limit. I would have saved another $14, too. Major bummer!

Life lesson: Know your grocery store specials inside and out! I probably will stop making one "major" trip and instead split my sales up evenly among the 4 Wednesdays in each month.

So, the summary for this trip was:
Total spent: $254.00
Total saved: $58.40 (19%)


Another goal will be to stop buying cleaning supplies, paper goods and other items that are traditionally marked up at grocery stores on my shopping trips. This time I bought toilet paper, dish detergent tabs and cat food because I wouldn't be able to make it to Wal-Mart before we ran out. (The master bath already was sporting a roll of paper towels in place of TP! Yikes.)

Because more than half of my coupons didn't double, I definitely overspent on those items and am more resolved than ever to start price comparing Wal-Mart and Amazon for those goods. Onward, coupon soldier!

No comments:

Post a Comment